Backward Bending

Backward Bending
Go back, way back

Monday, March 14, 2011

High up on a mountain

Surpise, here I AM!



I know, I know, you (whoever YOU are) are thinking..."She's back?"

Although I cannot promise indefinite posts, I have missed my blogging way too much to ignore the urge to post at LEAST once more.

So what have I been up to? Well, surprisingly, NOT yoga.

I have been sidelined from the hot room for several days with an absolutely cringe-worthy hamstring injury. My additional WebMD research (which by the way I have been told by several close friends I should NOT be allowed to view) also suggested Sciatica. Hypochondriac or not, my left butt cheek and thigh have traded in hot shorts for heat packs and icy hot. Lemme tell you, everyone LOVES my new scent.

While spending quality time with my new fav items (above) on the couch several things have occurred to me:

1) I have eaten waaaay too many carbs for my own good which have resulted in my stomach feeling like a giant pasta boat setting sail for meatball island

2) I really LOVE anything about Mount Everest

On the first, I have vowed to reclaim my healthy eating habits, now if only those damn girl scouts would take their cookie brigade and beat it.

Regarding the second, I shouldn't be surprised.

My love affair with the "tallest mountain on earth" began some time ago. It could have been a late night documentary, or interesting photo in National Geographic, but most likely is was my first read of Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.

If you can stomach one survivor's traumatic retelling of the infamous 1996 Everest Expedition, I highly recommend this book. Never has nature appeared more glorious, more equalizing and more monstrous then in this book.

In a continued fascination with her beauty (mountains are ladies right?) I devoted several hours this weekend to watching the Discovery Channel's Everest: Beyond the Limit. What a trip it was. These unbelievable athletes (quite the characters!) essentially sign up to risk there lives 30,000 feet above anything that is normal to me.

The sheer beauty of the mountain is absolutely breathtaking, and the struggle unbelievable. It is this STRUGGLE, this basic understanding of the human condition, and fight for life and glory, that truly inspires me.

So whether you are tackling the highest of peaks, with barely a breath left, or attempting to get through your first 20 day challenge, the shared expereince is the struggle.

Appreciate everything that you fight for today, and enjoy the struggle, for that is the TRUE measure of our heart.

"Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others..it rises from your heart" ~Junko Tabei

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment