Backward Bending

Backward Bending
Go back, way back

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 16- Completed

Waterfall, Day 16


Now picture this massive rush of water trying to ease it's way down my tired, dry, and scratchy throat. Not pretty.

Sunday classes are always an inevitable struggle. We are typically mat to mat, dumping sweat on each other, and each others mats. It's during these challenging (and grotesque) times I often find myself distracted by things like, cool sparkling bottles of water. As if it were the last sip on earth and I was crawling through the Sahara, I rely on my water bottle as the only life line I have left. Forget about breathing, and "relaxing my mind"...I want my water dammit!

My quick abandonment of all things zen, definitely came back to bite me in the butt. Sure I had made it through the standing series with hardly a drop of liquid, but come Rabbit Pose or Sasangasana (which if you remember from Day 14 is my LEAST favorite posture) it all went downhill.

Suddenly, I was grasping at my water bottle, clutching it so tightly I could see the white of my knuckles. I looked around erratically, trying to spot the teacher and make sure I wasn't "caught" hydrating. Then again, it is nearly impossible to NOT be found out when you are drinking as if you are a part of an early 1999 frat party chugging contest or game of waterfall (No really, I thought I wasn't supposed to stop until the person next to me did!).

As to be expected from such a scene, I immediately started choking and was not only "caught" by our teacher, but managed to disturb anyone in a 10 foot radius (i.e. the entire class). I hacked and hacked, gasping for breath, and finally found some relief with, you guessed it, more water.

So what did I learn today? A few things, really:

1) Water bottles in Birkam are like mirages in the desert---just an illusion that should not be trusted
2) Adults are still susceptible to having something "go down the wrong pipe"
3) A full belly equals a dismal and sluggish end of class


Cheers to hydrating appropriately from here in out.

Namaste

"I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man." ~Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment